The holiday season is a wonderful opportunity to spend quality time with friends and family while creating lasting memories, for children and aging parents alike. There are always the usual stresses that arise this time of year, like making sure gifts are bought, meals are sorted, and activities are planned to keep everyone happy. However, […]
How can you tell if your elderly loved one may need assisted living care? This question can spark an overwhelming sense of confusion for all involved. However, it is an important question to consider. As we age, it is normal for mental and physical abilities to decline. Fortunately, assisted living homes provide an excellent option to give your loved one the care and support they may need.
It is common for people to wait until there is an emergency to realize that their loved one is in need care. To help avoid this situation, we recommend taking a proactive approach by regularly visiting and assessing your loved one to help recognize changes and determine their care needs as they age. This will help prevent life-threatening accidents or illnesses. We understand it can be difficult to decide if assisted living is the best option for your loved one. Here are signs to look out for:
- Forgetfulness: The brain is often affected by age. This can cause memory issues and forgetfulness regarding taking medications, going to appointments and other regular activities that can impact health and safety. If your loved one seems to be forgetting daily tasks like, this can be an indication that they need assisted care due to memory impairment. If your loved one has mandatory medications, failure to take these can be very dangerous.
- Neglecting personal hygiene: If your loved one is neglecting their personal hygiene simply, it can be a sign that they are no longer able to shower and do laundry without assistance.
- Unkempt living area: If your loved one’s house and yard seem to be neglected, this is an indication that they might not be able to keep up on things like mowing the lawn and cleaning the dishes. These are two areas that you can help with yourself or hire someone to do.
- Frequent balance issues or falls: This is perhaps the most obvious indication that your loved one may need assisted living services. Balance issues can lead to life threatening falls or accidents. An assisted living home provides round the clock monitoring and care to help your loved one on their feet and keep them safe.
- Finance struggles: If you notice that there are unopened bills, collections, large receipts, etc. this may be a sign that they are no longer able to handle their finances. When this happens, it is important that a family member or trusted accounted step in to make sure everything is in order and to protect seniors as susceptible to scams for this reason.
If your loved one is displaying any of these signs or any other concerning behaviors, it may be time to consider assisted living in Phoenix. At Paradise Living Centers we are proud to be a resource for assisted living and elderly care in the state of Arizona. For more information on the care we provide or any other questions you might have please visit our website or give us a call at (480) 878-4112.